2022 50p 50 Years of Pride UK Brilliant Uncirculated Coin Cover
Limited to 10,000
or 4 payments of $13.75 with Info
- Limited Edition 10000
- A limited edition coin and stamp set
- Eight new Special Stamps chronicling the story of Pride across five decades.
- Stamps chronicling the story of Pride across five decades.
- Four First Class and four £1.85 landscape stamps.
- Each stamp is illustrated by British artist Sofie Birkin.
- The coin’s reverse features ‘Unity’, ‘Equality’, ‘Visibility’ and ‘Protest’ – the hallmarks of the Pride movement.
On 1 July 1972, the UK witnessed its first ever 'Gay Pride Rally-the event that would grow into the nationwide movement that we know today as Pride. A small gathering of about 2,000 people in London's Trafalgar Square, this early protest was organized by the Gay Liberation Form (GLF) and called for better visibility and equality for the UK's LGBTQ+ community
It was modeled on similar Pride events that had swept North America in the wake of the 1969 Stonewall riots when LGBTQ+ people in New York City fought back against the police. As one early Pride slogan put it, the message was: "Gay is fun; gay us proud; gay is beautiful!" Growing out of defiance, Pride has evolved significantly over the past five decades into a series of celebrations in cities from London to Cardiff, Machester, and Edinburgh, attracting millions of people each year and encompassing a broad and ever-growing range of identities. As well as combining a parade with concerts and parties- not to mention drag shows- the potential importance of Pride lives on, as work towards better inclusion for all LGBTQ+ people in the UK continues.
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Aussie Coins and Notes users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.